Cardiology won't do a stress test HELP

Edited , 3 users are following.

I have been having chest pains since 14th November, they have been so severe at times iv called ambulances and been to A&E alot. I'm 23 but have a long family history of heart problems (my dad had angina at 21) my GP refered me for a stress test. I went to my appointment today but they said they no longer do the stress test as its unreliable and instead are sending me for an echocardiogram. I'm in so much pain it makes me cry, I'm currently taking 300mg gabapentin (2 times a day) and it's not helping at all.

Has anyone else been told they no longer do the stress test I am so lost.

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes and they are sending you for one of the best heart scans out to detect heart conditions and they will send you for further tests if they think its nescassary which at 23 will be very surprising

I'm presuming that if you're dad was diagnosed with angina at 21 he obviously still has it and probably more issues now

So do you have any other comorbidities examples obesity, dietetis etc

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

OK first off we'll done on losing the weight, obviously you are worried about this so losing weight is definitely going in the right direction especially if you have high cholesterol as well which at your age is quite unusual

How much more weight do you have to lose to be in a healthy bmi

You didn't answer the question regarding your dad though

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I need to lose another 3 and a half stone to be a healthier weight. I was 23 stone now 18 stone 4, need to be about 15 I believe and that's at the top end. I'm 6ft 3.

Yes my dad still has angina unfortunately it doesn't go away but it can be managed. He takes daily medication (calcium channel blockers, beta blockers and nitrate) he's also had a few stent precedures done. He has it quite bad.

These pains I'm having suddenly hit me out of nowhere, I was sat at home on the 14th November talking to my mum. Then it hit me this intense pain, dizzyness, headache, breathless. I thought nothing of it at first, thought it was anxiety as I do suffer with it and went to bed and felt awful for the next couple days then the trips to A&E started.

At first it felt like gabapentin was helping but now it's not. I have tried Amitriptyline but that made me a zombie and almost collapsed at one point but considering trying a lower dose. They tried duloxetine but the moment I took it my chest pain immediately became worse and I was on the floor in pain (worst experience ever) 2 years ago tried sertraline for anxiety (again caused by chest pain) helped my anxiety but cause god awful insomnia, migraines, sweating and eye pain I took that for 3 months. Then tried citalopram but made my heart race unlike anything 150bpm when resting! That was a scary day.

I'm so flustered because my GP says they just don't have the tools to help me, the hospital say I'm not an emergency but my appointments they just don't seem to want to help most of the time, the echo was the only thing in 4 months they have done for me (I am grateful for it however)

I'm crying everyday from these pains, iv had a doctor call me a liar and said I was making it up. My GP are very nice but there resources only stretch so far. I went to CBT and took there advice on managing anxiety to see if it was that and it hasn't helped at all. These pains are real not in my head but it does make me very anxious it's a toxic circle.

Sorry to rant on just so stressed over the whole thing.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

When do you get the chest pain? Is it when you are at rest or active?

A stress echo is more accurate because you get an echocardiogram before and after exercise, but an exercise stress ECG test is less accurate.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I get it even at rest but it does get worse with activity. I feel like I missed out alot of things to tell the cardiac nurse I spoke to I feel like such a fool. Do you know if a gp can refer me for an angiogram directly?

It's not a stress echo I'm going for just a regular echo.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I don't think a gp would be able to refer you, that would have to come from the cardiologist. People usually have an echocardiogram first as far as I am aware. You should be given an appointment with your cardiologist after the echo to discuss the results and if nothing shows up, make sure you discuss your concerns there. Write everything you want to know and everything you want the cardiologist to know down before so you don't forget. How was your father's angina diagnosed?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I see that reassures me a lot thank you. My dad's angina was diagnosed when he was out with friends one time, he got bad chest pain and his friends took him to the hospital, on arrival his ECG was clear so they nearly sent him home. It was only when a doctor at the hospital (who was a family friend) demanded a blood test for my dad and they realised his troponin was highly elevated he had or was about to have a bad heart attack. He was rushed into to have an angiogram and they found he had blockages and he was diagnosed with angina.

My dad's sister was also diagnosed young at 27 and she died of sudden cardiac death in her 30s. My dad's brother was diagnosed in his 30s and he later needed an implanted defibrillator. My grandad was in his 30s or early 40s I believe when he was diagnosed.

Not a nice history.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Whereabouts are you as if you where uk based with a history as bad as that you would so tested to make sure you were OK you would be complaining 😂

Yes not a good family link for anyone but if it were me I would be expecting my cardiologist to be giving me the works including angiography straight away but it will all depend on your location

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I live in London, I am waiting on a call on Monday from cardiology I'm going to give them the details I missed and maybe get a follow up after my echo. Fingers crossed.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up