What are the chances of me having heart failure/attack?

Posted , 4 users are following.

im 13, going on to 14. I have really bad health anxiety and pretty sure this is just another anxiety session or whatever but I want to know if anyone is experiencing the same. Anyways, sometimes I get sharp, stabbing pain in my chest area and sometimes other areas on my body, too. What is scaring me most is left chest pain that has a sharp stabbing sensation which lasts like 5 seconds or less. The symptoms go away after those seconds. Sometimes I get it on my right side chest and sometimes in my abdomen. Its just weird how it lasts only a couple seconds and moving/breathing kind of makes it worse. Im a little overweight, 125lbs and 4'11. But im trying to exercise and eat more healthy. My dad's side of the family has a history of hypertension. I heard the symptoms could be Precordial catch syndrome because it seems exactly like what Im experiencing. But because of my ongoing anxiety, a little part of me still has to think its something more extreme and dangerous. Also, I was walking around my neighborhood and I was sweating but the sweat felt cold? I was really running or anything, just walking. And to make things worse, I read that cold sweats could mean a heart attack is coming. What are the chances of a 13 year old having heart failure or a heart attack?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

unless you have an underlying heart condition ( at your young age its next to none) the chances of a heart attack at your age is very very unlikely. high blood pressure at your age is very unlikely to.

sharp chest pain is not normally heart attack symptoms. try not to worry about this . my advice to you would be to make some life style changes and , lose a bit weight and concentrate on other things like school and hobbies .

i know how you feel as i was a servere health anxiety sufferer. your to young to be worrying about stuff like this.

Report Reply
  • Posted

hi i have health anxiety too but now i am on medication i dont suffer as much. i used to get scared about having a heart condition or having a heart attack. i would get chest pain stabing pains, pains down my left arm. in the end i went to my doctor and explained my worries and he sent me for a heart scan for peace of mind. there was nothing wrong with my heart. turns out it was just all part of anxiety symptoms. maybe you could tell your doctor how you are feeling and he can put your mind at rest

Report Reply
  • Posted

I think the chances of you having a heart attack or any serious heart issue at this age are very slim. When I was your age I went through the same stuff with health anxiety and I'm still here at 54 😊! The feeling in your chest could very likely be from your tummy as gas etc moves through your system. Sometimes the gas pains from that can be felt in your chest.

I think you should keep up your walking and practice taking big deep breaths. Yoga is really good for anxiety too, if you can find a program locally. Talk to your parents and let them know you're scared. Perhaps an appt with your pediatrician would put your mind at ease.

Everything will be okay!! Be kind to yourself! 💕

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up