Anti-Depressants

Posted , 9 users are following.

I saw my doctor today who has prescribed me a months worth of anti-depressants for my depression and my severe anxiety, but when I went to collect them I was told I have to pay for them which was unbeknownst to me.

I'm 19 and don't have a job so I cannot afford to pay £12.62 for a box each month. I live in the United Kingdom.

Is there anyway that I can get them for free or if there's a way the cost can be covered as I know that the cost is covered if you are 18 or below and in full time education.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I really can't afford to pay for them but was informed by my doctor that they could really help me with my depression, severe anxiety and panic attacks

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

If you are receiving benefits of any kind then you should be able to get them for free, if not then you are deemed to be able to afford them and unfortunately there's nothing you can do. I think if you receive job seekers allowance then you can also get them free. Best to ask your pharmacist for up to date info

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

redpanda

Are you a UK a UK National born here.

If you are on certain benefits you get the drug free, if disabled here is a good chance you will pay.

If a pensioner your medications are free. You can get prepayment Certificates at Chemist you will need to pay a lump sum and you will need to work out if you will get your moneys worth

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with the person on here. You can get prescriptions for free if you claim benefits. Check this out and see what you can do.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi if you claim contribution based benefits you have to pay.  If however it's income based benefits then you get them free. It will tell you what type you are on with your letter from the DWP. 

If not then you should be able to get them at a reduced fee by filling in an HC2 form.  I think you can do this or at least order it online.  This is on the grounds of low income. 

If all else fails then you can buy a card for either 6 months or a year and all prescriptions are covered.  I know the yearly one is £104 but don't know how much the 6 month one is.  This info is online so have a look.

It might also be worth looking at Gov.uk which is the Government site for all benefits.     

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Incidently if you live in the home counties you don't pay for prescriptions.  It's only us poor saps in England who have to.  Not fair!  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I'm not on any form of benefits and the only one that I would be able to apply for is Jobseekers Allowance but as my anxiety and panic attacks are so bad, I am unable to go for an interview to be told if I am legible for Jobseekers Allowance or not.

I also have Asthma, but I am unable to pay for my inhalers that I need.

Does anyone know how the low income thing would work as I still live with my parents?

We're earning enough money to live on but don't have much spare money currently so we wouldn't be able to afford the medication I need every month

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

There are ither benefits you can like like Universal Credit or Employment Support Allowence. With these benefits you just need to provide a sick note from your doctor. You will nit be expected to look for work or go for interviews until you are well enough. You also won't have to pay for prescriptions.

Hope this helps

Xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Just a quick question - why don't you claim benefits? It does depend on income but I'd check if you can claim anything as you're not working, it will save you in the long run.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I wasn't aware a standard prescription was £12.62? I thought it was £8 something.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up