Soybean oil eye drops act as artificial tears. They make dry eyes feel more comfortable.You can use the drops up to four times a day.
About soybean oil eye drops
|Type of medicine||Eye lubricant|
|Used for||Dry eyes (in adults and children)|
|Available as||Single-use units of eye drops|
Emustil® eye drops are also known as 'artificial tears'. They contain two ingredients - soybean oil and natural phospholipids. Soybean oil relieves eye dryness and soreness. The natural phospholipids are substances which are naturally found in your tears, but which can be reduced in people with dry eyes. The eye drops moisten, soothe and lubricate the surface of your eye, making it feel more comfortable.
Emustil® eye drops are available on prescription, or you can buy them without a prescription through a pharmacy.
How to use soybean oil eye drops
- Wash your hands well before you use the drops.
- Twist off the tip of a single-dose unit.
- Tilt your head back a little and pull the lower lid of your eye downwards to form a pocket.
- Hold the unit upside down near to your eye. Try not to touch your eye as you do this.
- Apply enough pressure to release one drop into your eye. Only use a second drop if the first drop missed going into your eye.
- Close your eye for a minute or two, and press gently on the side of your nose where the corner of your eye meets your nose. This helps to stop the drop from draining away and keeps it in your eye.
- Repeat the process in your other eye if required.
Getting the most from your treatment
- Before you start using the eye drops, read the manufacturer's printed information leaflet supplied with the pack. It will give you more information about using the drops and will provide a list of any side-effects which you could experience.
- Use one drop into the eye (or eyes) affected by dryness. You can use the drops up to four times a day. If the drops have been prescribed for you then you should follow the directions given to you by your doctor.
- If you forget to use the drops at your 'usual' time, do not worry; just put them in when you remember. Do not 'double up' the number of drops you use to make up for forgetting to use them.
- When first put in, the eye drops can cause blurred vision. This should quickly clear. Make sure you can see clearly again before you drive, or use tools or machines.
- If you are using any other eye drops or ointments, leave about ten minutes between applying each one. It is usually recommended that you use lubricating drops like Emustil® last. This is so that the drops stay in contact with your eye and lubricate it for as long as possible.
- If your symptoms do not improve within a few days, see your doctor for further advice.
Can soybean oil eye drops cause problems?
Soybean oil eye drops are unlikely to cause any side-effects.
How to store soybean oil eye drops
- Keep all medicines out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
- The units should be used as soon as they are opened. Do not store an opened unit to use later. This is because the units do not contain any preservative.
Important information about all medicines
Make sure that the person supplying the drops knows about any other eye drops that you are using.
If you are having an operation or dental treatment, tell the person carrying out the treatment which medicines you are using.
If you suspect that someone might have swallowed some of the drops, contact your local accident and emergency department for advice.
Do not keep out-of-date or unwanted medicines. Take them to your local pharmacy which will dispose of them for you.
If you have any questions about this medicine ask your pharmacist.
Further reading and references
British National Formulary; 70th Edition (Sep 2015) British Medical Association and Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, London
Hello,So I have been wearing Air Optix contacts for at least 7 years and last year I noticed my left eye was kind having issues like it was a little itchy or dry (it almost felt like a hair was in my...camib
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Patient Platform Limited has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.