Patient is the web’s leading independent health platform, established for over 15 years. With more than 18 million visits a month, it is a trusted source of information for both patients and health professionals across the globe.
The site contains over 4000 health information leaflets, a wellbeing centre, a free health check, and thousands of discussion forums. It is accredited by The Information Standard, NHS England’s quality mark and was listed as ‘The top health website you can’t live without’ by The Times newspaper (Jan 2013).
Who owns and runs Patient?
Patient was first launched in 1997 by PiP (Patient information Publications) as a directory of websites which provided information on health, disease and related issues. PiP is a partnership between Dr Tim Kenny and Dr Beverley Kenny, who were GPs with over 15 years’ experience in Tyne and Wear, England and who had a particular interest in writing and providing evidence-based patient information.
In December 2002, Patient was relaunched as a joint venture between PiP and EMIS (Egton Medical Information Systems Ltd). EMIS develops, supplies and supports general practice computing systems. The company was started by family doctors, has been growing steadily for the last 25 years and is currently the market leader. EMIS has a special interest and experience in making electronic systems that allow doctors and patients to find appropriate medical information quickly. In April 2008, EMIS acquired the balance of Patient from PiP, but the partners of PiP continued to be involved as members of the editorial team.
In January 2012 the site underwent a further redesign. The core content remained the same but the redesign brought it more up-to-date making content easier to find and helping visitors manage their health needs. The Patient Services team are building on the success of Patient and provide tools and information in a number of innovative ways well-suited to the new mobile community of internet users.
Funding, Authoring and Advertising
The site construction and editorial teams for Patient are wholly funded by EMIS. The website makes no user charge and receives no funding from external sources, for example drug companies. Patient is not an NHS organisation.
The editorial team are employed to create accurate and up-to-date content reflecting reliable research evidence, guidance and best clinical practice. They are free from any commercial conflicts of interest.
Advertising banners and skyscrapers on the site provide income revenue by means of page display or 'click thru'. Adverts are provided by external sources and are not endorsed by Patient. All revenue from this source is passed to EMIS.
Ben Foster, Operations Director, Patient Services, EMIS
- Dr Hayley Willacy (Clinical Content Editor), MB ChB, DRCOG, DFFP, MRCOG
- Helen Allen, BPharm, Clin Dip
- Dr Adrian M Bonsall, BA (Hons), MB BS (Hons), MRCPCh (I), FACEM (Primary)
- Dr John P Cox, MB BChir, DCH, DRCOG, FP Cert, MRCP(UK), MRCGP
- Dr Hannah Gronow, MB ChB
- Dr Helen Huins, MB BS, DCH, DRCOG, MRCGP, JCPTGP, DFFP
- Professor Cathy Jackson, BSc (Hons), MB ChB, MRCGP
- Dr Laurence Knott, BSc, MB BS
- Dr Euan Lawson, MB ChB, DCH, MRCGP, FHEA, PG Dip Med Ed
- Dr Louise Newson, BSc, MB ChB, MRCP, MRCGP
- Dr Ann Robinson, MB BS, DCH, DRCOG, MRCGP
- Dr Gurvinder Rull, MB BS, MRCP
- Dr Colin Tidy, MB BS, MRCP, MRCGP, DCH
- Dr Michelle Williams, BSc (Hons), MB BS, DTM&H, MRCGP, DFFP
- Dr Michelle Wright, MB ChB, MRCGP, DCH, DRCOG
- Dr Tim Kenny, BMedSci (Hons), MB BS, MRCGP, DCH
- Dr Beverley Kenny (clinical diagrams), MB BS, MRCGP, PGDip
- Hilary Cole, Clinical Content Manager, Patient Services, EMIS
- Ros Jones, Proofreader, Patient Services, EMIS
- Andy Carr, Senior Architect Developer, Patient Services, EMIS
- Martin Alcock, Lead Frontend Web Developer, Patient Services, EMIS
- Stella Bolam, Social Media and Content Manager, Patient Services, EMIS
- Sue Grealish, Web Developer, Patient Services, EMIS
- Greg Slater, Web Developer, Patient Services, EMIS
- Carl Woodhouse, Web Developer, Patient Services, EMIS
- Aidan Minton, Digital Designer, Patient Services, EMIS
- Neal Ralphs, Advertising Specialist, Patient Services, EMIS
- Alan Osborne, QA Lead, Patient Services, EMIS
Company Registration details
Egton Medical Information Systems Limited. Registered in England. No 2117205 Registered Office: Rawdon House, Green Lane, Yeadon, Leeds LS19 7BY
Last revised 1st June 2015