The Patient website has produced this decision aid from evidence-based information on options, outcomes and uncertainties regarding this subject. It should help you and your doctor (or nurse) to understand what your options are and to make the right choice for you. Click for more information on shared decision making.
Further reading & references
- Management of Atrial Fibrillation 2010 and Focused Update 2012; European Society of Cardiology (2012)
- Antithrombotics: indications and management; Scotttish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network - SIGN (updated Jun 2013)
- Management of atrial fibrillation; NICE Clinical Guideline (June 2014)
- Dabigatran etexilate for the prevention of stroke and systemic embolism in atrial fibrillation; NICE Technology Appraisal Guidance, March 2012
- Rivaroxaban for the prevention of stroke and systemic embolism in people with atrial fibrillation; NICE Technology Appraisal Guidance, May 2012
- Apixaban for preventing stroke and systemic embolism in people with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation; NICE Technology Appraisal Guidance, February 2013
- CHADS2 Score - Stroke Risk in Atrial Fibrillation; MDCalc Online Calculator
- HAS-BLED Score for Major Bleeding Risk; MDCalc
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. EMIS has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.
Dr Colin Tidy
Dr Colin Tidy
Dr Hayley Willacy