Most of us will break a bone at some point in our lives. As a child it usually takes something major, like falling out of a tree, but we bounce back and soon can't wait to get our school mates to scribble on our plaster cast - although that's not so easy with the new lightweight casts! As we get older though, it may just be a trip over a rug that lands us on the floor with a broken arm.
You might hear your bone crack or snap as you land but you will certainly feel pain. You might also notice that your upper arm is swollen and is beginning to bruise or even that it looks a different shape. Sometimes you can feel numbness or tingling in your arm.
When should I see a doctor?
If you think you (or someone you are with) have broken an upper arm, you should seek medical attention straightaway. If you think it is a bad break, call 999/112/911.
Did you find this information useful?
- Kim SH, Szabo RM, Marder RA; Epidemiology of humerus fractures in the United States: nationwide emergency department sample, 2008. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012 Mar 64(3):407-14. doi: 10.1002/acr.21563.
- Jordan RW, Modi CS; A review of management options for proximal humeral fractures. Open Orthop J. 2014 Jun 27 8:148-56. doi: 10.2174/1874325001408010148. eCollection 2014.
- Wang Y, Zhuo Q, Tang P, et al; Surgical interventions for treating distal humeral fractures in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Jan 31 1:CD009890. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD009890.pub2.
- Clement ND; Management of Humeral Shaft Fractures Non-Operative Versus Operative. Arch Trauma Res. 2015 Jun 20
- Pandya NK, Baldwin KD, Wolfgruber H, et al; Humerus fractures in the pediatric population: an algorithm to identify abuse. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2010 Nov 19(6):535-41. doi: 10.1097/BPB.0b013e32833ce424.
- Harding P, Rasekaba T, Smirneos L, et al; Early mobilisation for elbow fractures in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011 Jun 15 (6):CD008130. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD008130.pub2.
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Patient Platform Limited has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.