UK sources of information and / or support
Founded in 1997 by a small group of parents who had each lost a child to suicide the organisation is dedicated to the prevention of young suicide.
Maytree offers a short stay in a safe residential setting where those feeling suicidal can talk, reflect and rest - and restore hope.
Information from the Mental Health Foundation.
Royal College of Psychiatrists
Have the following leaflets:
- U can cope - how to build your resilience
- Feeling on the edge? Helping you get through it.
- Feeling overwhelmed - helping you to stay safe.
Blog and film for World Suidice Prevention Day, September 2012.
Further sources / more detailed information
Some non-UK sites
The following list popular non-UK health information sites with content aimed at the general public. They are mainly from the US. They have not been checked to see if information about the above topic is included but these large sites are comprehensive.
More detailed medical information
The following list online sources of more detailed medical information, mainly from the UK. These sites are mainly aimed at health professionals, but are of interest to all. They have not been checked to see if information about the above topic is included, but information about most medical topics can usually be found.
- PatientPlus - hundreds of medical reference articles provided by Patient UK.
- Evidence Based Medicine - such as from Clinical Evidence, The Cochrane Library, etc.
- Database of UK Clinical Guidelines - from NICE, SIGN, etc.
- Medline - abstracts available from thousands of journals.
- Sites listing free online medical textbooks and journals.
- Sites listing free medical images - pictures, atlases, anatomy, skin diseases, etc.
Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. EMIS has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.