Uterine Cancer Endometrial Cancer

Authored by Dr Mary Harding, 01 Dec 2015

Patient is a certified member of
The Information Standard

Reviewed by:
Dr Louise Newson, 01 Dec 2015

Uterine cancer is a cancer which develops in the womb (uterus). By far the most common type of uterine cancer comes from the inner lining of the womb, the endometrium. This is endometrial cancer.

What is it?

Women have a womb (uterus) and men don't. It is a pouch surrounded by muscle in the very lower part of a woman's tummy (abdomen). The womb is where babies develop and grow during pregnancy.

So cancer of the uterus is an illness that only women can get. It is also called endometrial cancer because the endometrium is the inner lining of the womb, and this is where the cancer usually starts. Other types of cancer of the uterus are rare and are not discussed in this leaflet.

Who gets it?

As already mentioned, this is something only women have to deal with. It tends to affect women in later life, after the menopause, although it occasionally affects younger women. It is a common type of cancer - indeed, it is the fourth most common cancer affecting women in the UK.

When should I see a doctor?

Women should visit a doctor for any unexpected bleeding from the vagina. Specifically, if you:

  • Have already had your menopause and stopped bleeding but then have a bleed, even if it is just a little bit of brown-ish discharge. Brown discharge is usually old blood, suggesting a light bleed.
  • Bleed between your periods.
  • Bleed after having sex.

Most of the time, abnormal bleeding does NOT turn out to be cancer, but it's always best to get it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Further reading and references

Hi. So since august i had a prolonged period. I thought it was from stress from my fiancee and us having issues. I did tell my dr because the last time i had a prolonged period was when i was 13. My...

Health Tools

Feeling unwell?

Assess your symptoms online with our free symptom checker.

Start symptom checker