Tendinopathy and Tenosynovitis

Tendinopathy is a general term for disease of a tendon. Tendinosis is another name for this. Tenosynovitis is a general term for disease of the sheath surrounding a tendon.

If you're middle-aged and have decided you need to get off the sofa and exercise or you do a repetitive job, I'm afraid you are the kind of person who might end up having to see your doctor because you have developed tendinopathy or tenosynovitis.

That's not to say that exercise isn't a good thing (it is!), but just that these conditions are one of the reasons experts are always telling us to start slowly and build up gradually.

When should I see a doctor?

If you think you are developing either a tendinopathy or tenosynovitis and can treat it yourself by avoiding whatever set it off and taking other simple measures, that is great. However, you should get medical advice if you have symptoms that are:

  • Persisting.
  • Affecting your ability to work or exercise.
  • Constant (pain).

Did you find this information useful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Why not subcribe to the newsletter?

We would love to hear your feedback!

Dr Jacqueline Payne
Peer Reviewer:
Dr John Cox
Document ID:
4579 (v42)
Last Checked:
02 June 2016
Next Review:
02 June 2019

Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. Patient Platform Limited has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but make no warranty as to its accuracy. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. For details see our conditions.